Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Spice Mixes and All That Sugar

No more sugar for me! Now that I've been diagnosed as diabetic (hubby has been for YEARS) I need to find a way to have the spice blends I like without the sugar. I also need to find some fulfilling recipes for candy that is sugar free which won't be easy as the sugar is crucial in some recipes to help set the candy up! And, I need one of the red circles with the slash that means "NO" to add to this sugar jar!

So, I'm on the lookout for DIY mixes that resemble the commercial spice blends and sweets. I'd been using what he likes for his and my preferences for mine when possible as a while back I was surprised at how many spice blends have sugar or corn syrup added. With hubby already diabetic, my diet changes have had to be those hidden sugars in things I eat that he can't. Yes, I knew they were there. The good news is it's working because I've managed to loose 15# without starving myself. I'm busy with the homestead, but with my disability I have to sit down a LOT and have little energy. Truthfully, I think I lost that weight in the candy aisles as I get no more 3 Musketeers, Snickers, etc. I now get to visit the dietary section with sugar free candies. They are EXPENSIVE too. So I'm on a new search to make my own spice blends and sugar free chocolates!

In the meantime, I had stopped at the health food store which I do a few times a year. I found the Pamona Pectin I wanted to try for sugar free jams/jellies and they had carob covered pleanuts on sale! In the check out line I snipped open the carob peanuts as I was wondering if I wanted one bag or more being there'd be 2 of us consuming them. (It pays to have finger nail clippers on my key chain!) Boy was that a GOOD move! I really REALLY liked it so ran to the aisle and got 2 more bags. I was nice and left 1 bag for someone else of course! ;) So I ended up with 3 - 3 1/2 # bags of them for $7.99 each bag. That's a far cry cheaper than 3 oz of sugar free chocolate at the store for $1.48 - 1.69! We'll have these for a long time as I've put 2 bags and 2 quart jars of them in the freezer. With the way the heat melts chocolate these days they'll keep nicely there and I have a few out for snacks. I also decided I need to stop by the health food store more often as I'd LOVE to find the carob covered cashews and almonds on sale too!

A kind person posted this DIY copycat spice mix that resembles Lawry's on a recipe group. I thought you might like it also. I'm going to start with eliminating the sugar altogether and if it really needs it, I'll try a packet of Truvia or Slenda sweetner. Hopefully we will enjoy it without any sweetner. It looks to be a good one and I had quit using so much Lawry's due to the sugar.

Copycat Lawry's Seasoned Salt

2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
Pour the blend into an empty spice bottle to store.
Be sure to label the bottle!

I hope you all have a good day! I'm finally back on line and getting caught back up so hope to be here regularly again! I've missed blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment