Friday, April 22, 2011

How to Put a Damper on Easter and Earth Day 2011

Here's exactly what all those Peeps, bunnies and eggs will cost you calorie-wise.

1. Peeps. A few of these fluffy, sugar-filled treats can add up quickly. Go through a row of four bunnies and you're at 130 calories. Peeps are fat-free but do weigh in heavy on the carb count--each little rabbit has 8 grams of sugar alone, adding up to 32 grams in a serving of four.

2. Jelly Beans. These can be your worst foe or your best friend in the Easter basket, depending on how many you eat. Each individual bean is pretty low in calorie count, with usually around 5 or 6 calories, but munching through a handful or worse, an entire bagful, of Jelly Bellys adds up quickly. The recommended 35-bean serving comes in at 140 calories from 37 grams of sugar. To avoid jelly-bean overdose, it's probably best to grab a handful and then keep the Easter basket out of reach.

3. Cadbury Chocolate Eggs. These eggs may look tiny, b ut their calorie count is anything but. A handful of 12 eggs comes with 190 calories and 8 grams of fat. You might want to skip over these high-cal eggs if you come across them on the hunt.

4. Cadbury Creme Egg. It's possibly the quintessential Easter treat, but most people won't be surprised to find out that the creamy egg packs in the calories. The 1.2-ounce egg comes with 150 calories, 5 grams of fat and 25 grams of carbs. If you're looking for an excuse to indulge, there is a slight silver lining: the tasty milk chocolate comes with 40mg of calcium, which is about 5 percent of the recommended daily value.

5. Reese's Peanut Butter Egg. This egg slightly edges out its creme-filled rival in the unhealthy Easter-egg competition. All three varieties of the Reese's egg--milk chocolate, fudge and white chocolate--have a calorie count of 180. The fat content weighs in around 10 grams, double that of the Cadbury Creme Egg, with the white-chocolate egg the worst, a t 11 grams. Stick to the traditional Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, which, though it lacks the festive Easter element, has nearly half the calories of its egg-shaped relatives.

6. Lindt Chocolate Carrots. In a sea of eggs and bunnies, chocolate carrots are one of the more unusual Easter candy options--Lindt only started offering them seven years ago. Sadly, they have little nutritional value in common with their vegetable counterparts: a box of four carrot-shaped chocolates has 210 calories.

7. Hershey's Hollow Milk Chocolate Egg. This might come as the biggest surprise: one hollow Hershey's egg (4.65 ounces) has more than three times as many calories as the Cadbury Creme Egg. The shell alone has 570 calories. Start munching on the four Hershey's kisses included inside and you're up to a whooping 660 calories and 41 grams of fat. This may be one of the few Easter offerings that makes a Reese's Peanut Butter Egg look like health food.

8. Large Chocolate Bunny. Not surprisingly, the bunny reigns as king when it comes to Easter calories. But the calorie count may still raise a few eyebrows: the average seven-ounce rabbit clocks an impressive 1,050 calories. Smaller bunnies are better--rabbits of the one-ounce variety only rack up 140 calories.




Ruins the whole holiday, doesn't it? After all, what does one expect in their Easter basket? ALL of the above! So what do we do now? Maybe we should go back to celebrating the real meaning of Easter, huh????? That and eat some good Easter eggs. It keeps the chickens working and it makes for good family time and family memories for our kids!


That being, I hope you'll all have a very nice Good Friday, Easter, Earth Day and weekend.


Grace is coming home tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing her. I'm looking forward to seeing how she and Summer react and if they settle immediately into their old relationship or if they have to develop a new one. I guess Grace went from being the low pony on the pecking order to the top of the herd! Summer was the top here. I hope they don't have to fight it out as I don't really have a way to keep them separate any more and we're to have storms all weekend. The only shelter from the storm is a single run in stall in the back of the barn. I don't know how Grace handles storms any more. We had the horrid storm about 4 years ago where I lost a few horses in the lightening strikes hitting the flooded pastures. They survived but got a jolt leaving them with a fear of water touching their hooves.


I have more work to do on one of my newer compost bins. I'm not really doing anything new for Earth Day, but rather contining on with things I do that are good for the earth and my environment. It's also good for how my little part of the world extends beyond my little spot and into the larger area beyond myself. I do now have a shorter term compost bin and a longer term compost bin. I've never done that before. In a few years I'll see how that has worked. I've not heard of doing it either so it's a completely new experiment.


Have a good weekend! I may post but don't expect you all will be around to read it! ;)


Disclaimer: I don't know where that came from. I got it as a joke in a group of graphics, humor, etc. So it's as if it's free game and I hope not a copy right infringement. If so, I'll delete it from my group if one can prove to me it's theirs and I'm not looking for a fight to see the proof!

No comments:

Post a Comment