Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Terminology Observation

I was on wikipedia and ran across this quote:

"This article contains weasel words: vague phrasing that often accompanies biased or unverifiable information. Such statements should be clarified or removed. (December 2010)"

I have to wonder about it! I mean is it a comment from a reader not agreeing with the rabbit info provided or is it from wikipedia? I've never seen it before!

So do we have a new term, weasel words? I find it a tad offensive or repulsive. So now are bloggers a bunch of weasel worders?

I don't find wikipedia to be a professional and highly accurate site. No offense, and I do use it. But, I consider the info to be a start for researching and feel I'm then responsible to verify, clarify, or disregard if I can't support it with professional info. In a way, it's rather like reading a blog. It's the author's opinion or writing.

That being, I sure don't consider myself as weasely! I always thought to be a weasel (not the 4 legged variety) was quite negative and suggests being sneaky and conniving! That rabbit article was interesting and informative, an opinion and experience. It was NOT a negative article. I didn't find the words to be sneaky or conniving or anything resembling a weasel!

Interesting, for sure! What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment