Sunday, January 31, 2010

Spicy Sunday!

I have a couple of my homemade spice mixes to share to spice up your Sunday! There's nothing better than a yummy Sunday dinner made from scratch and eaten at home! I'm making chili. Not typical Sunday fare but I got a good deal on ground beef at the store yesterday that was obviously three 1 pound pkg. of burger put in a meat tray, marked to 98 cents a pound with a reduced and manager's special tags. My thinking is that the several hours of slow boil will kill off most bacteria trying to take hold. Some times I hope that is reality with our purchased food!

Shar's Pizza Seasoning Mix

4 T oregano
3 T basil
2 T marjoram
1 T garlic powder - *Optional
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp rosemary - crushed
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
pinch of well crushed savory - optional if you don't like savory

Mix well in a pint jar.
Fill a plastic spice container with a shake and/or spoon spout type top.
Use for pizzas, Italian calzones, soups, etc.

***

Shar's Italian Seasoning Mix

4 T oregano
3 T basil
2 T rosemary
1 T garlic powder - *Optional
1 T thyme

Mix well in a pint jar.
Fill a plastic spice container with a shake and/or spoon spout type top.

*The garlic is optional only because at some times I have or prefer to use my fresh garlic or the jars of crushed garlic I buy from the store. Right now some of my fresh garlics are starting to get little sprouts trying to burst out so I need to use them first!

(I get a quart jar of crushed garlic at Save-Alots that has some oil in it and then I have the oil for other dishes.)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment