Saturday, January 8, 2011

Thursday's Connundrum

Remember the 4 green eggs from Thursday? If not, read the post below of my playing with my food and finding a nest with 4 green eggs in the barn. The connundrum has deepened! That nest was not in a pen with hens. That nest was right next to my milk stand and where I walk and move around. At the current time I also throw hay over the stall wall to the Alpine does, right there where the nest was.

I ask "What's going on girls?"
Goldie looks away and refuses to discuss the secret business of egg laying! She also knows that I know that she lays a lovely brown egg.

So I ask JuneBug who is always the center of everything and my velcro buddy! "What gives out here, JuneBug?" She only indicates that she wants out of the stall and I'm not doing things her way or fast enough. I know she knows! She misses NOTHING! Her mouth is closed and her eyes are focused outside the barn - on the hay!
Thursday I found all these eggs! Something gives as they have no extra light or heat in the barn or outside pen. They have shelter, food and room to move around. Warm water is delivered daily to help them with the cold. These pullets are determined to lay all right. GO GIRLS GO!


Someone laid those pretty green eggs and I guess I'm the detective. I decide to bring them to the house and do a freshness check.

Here they are in their little warmish spa and with some of the brown eggs that came in with them! The science report says they are fresh! Now the connundrum is even deeper! I decide to post about how to tell if eggs are fresh. I have that post in draft status and haven't hit publish as I am wrangling with the dratted spacing which plagues my posts often. (More on that tomorrow.)

So Friday I go do chores and in finishing up I collect the beautiful eggs the girls have so generously provided me while living in the cold out-of-doors. Look see!


There were 2 green eggs IN THE PEN, IN THE BARN!!! Someone is commiting fraud. There is an imposter in the "hen house"! The Americauna girls, mix breed girls, extra roos except Pinata, and a couple goats are in the outside pen. IN the barn pen are the turkeys, the Nigerian Dwarf goatie girls who are quite small, and the purebred hens - SUPPOSEDLY! Someone is putting something over on me and I start asking questions. (Silly me, standing amongst turkeys, goats and chickens, in the barn, not another human around, and I'm asking questions! I'm also expecting answers!) As you can see from above, I'm not getting any cooperation or help, not even from the goatie girls.

Low and behold, there are no mysterious red feathers on the Cochins. The Brahma girls and Goldie, the Orpington girl are as they should be. The 3 silver Laced Cochins are as they should be.

THEN, the Favorelle girl is over getting a snack and the young Favorelle girl is getting a drink. They are within a few feet of each other for a change! The young girl is friendly and she loves to sneak out of the pen and wander the barn. I look at her closer and the older Favorelle girl gets closer. That is unusual as she usually avoids getting near me and avoids the high traffic movements.

Surprise! The young girl is still considerably lighter colored than the old girl. Something isn't quite right. She's lighter alright. And look at her legs....

They are BARE, clean shaven! Where are her feathers? Favorelles have feathery legs and feet, as do the Cochins and Brahmas. Americaunas have bare legs!

Mystery solved! The imposter has been found! This gal has an Americauna momma! Being a nice little pullet, she does get to stay. She can hang out with Pinata, the Favorelle roo, and the Favorelle hen. I'll know which eggs are hers being she has green jeans, or is that green genes? And I do enjoy the extra color in the eggs I'm collecting.

Onward and upward! Who knows what today will bring!

3 comments:

  1. Too funny! So tell me... is it true that the Americauna eggs produce less cholesterol? Between you 'n me 'n the fence post... I don't buy it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't buy it either. Chickens are too closely bred. I think what does make a difference is the chickens that are truly free ranged/pastured and get lots of natural goodies as a large part of their diet. I think those that are heavily grained and it's their only diet have a lesser quality and lower nutrient egg to offer us. They can only produce what they are fed. I know the commercial producers don't agree, but if we look at other situations we can compare. One example is that we're in a very selenium defficient area and if mares aren't supplemented, they produce foals who are defficient and have problems. They have to have the nutrients taken in to produce the nutrients in what they produce. JMHO, but I'm with you, not the breed but rather the diet. I guess one could say that Americaunas/Aracaunas aren't raised for commercial production so to compare them with commercial birds' production would show a difference but it's not the breed. It's the feed.

    ReplyDelete