Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Interesting Farm Facts

* One acre of soybeans can produce 82,368 crayons.
* The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds.
* There are 47 different breeds of sheep in the U.S.
* One pound of wool can make 10 miles of yarn. There are 150 yards (450 feet) of wool yarn in a baseball.

* The heaviest turkey ever raised weighed 86 pounds.
* Mature turkeys have more than 3,500 feathers.
* Turkeys originated in North and Central America, and evidence indicates that they have been around for more than 10 million years.

* Cows can detect smells up to six miles away!

* Like snowflakes, no two cows have exactly the same pattern of spots.

(Excerpts from "FarmersFeedUs")

2 comments:

  1. Being a handspinner, I can't help but wonder at the 'one pound of wool makes 10 miles of yarn.' For a sweater, I usually order a kilo (2.2 lbs) to cover the yarn needs. There's way less than 20 miles of yarn in my sweaters, so that must be some mighty skinny yarn they're spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't know so if you do find out the info is wrong, please let me know so I can change it!

    ReplyDelete