Sunday, November 14, 2010

Seasoning Cast Iron

I just read an excellent article on another blog about the science of seasoning cast iron. I thought some of you might like to read it also. It recommends flax seed oil which was a first for me, but it makes sense. As I was getting into it, I thought she was going to recommend linseed oil and was starting to cringe. Thankfully I didn't need to!

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

It does make me wonder if our grandmothers used linseed oil or what. I seem to remember my mom using lard. Back then, linseed oil may not have been so chemically processed and all like it is now. It's great for the handles of garden implements, but I really don't want to eat from pans seasoned with it.

Good article! It gives me something to ponder on and wonder what you think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment