Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Did You Know?


The pashmina shawls of Kashmir are made from the wispy chin and belly hair of Himalayan goats. Since the goats themselves are inaccessible, the hair is gathered in strands and tufts from bushes in which it has become caught.

Wow! We always take the little things that matter for granted. And yet there are many in this huge world who need the little things for survival. I am very blessed to not have my existence depend on finding stray fibers!

I LOVE fiber crafts. I really enjoyed a few "adventures" to a llama/alpaca show near me when I use to show my horse. The yards and the products produced from them are just so lovely and they are indescribably luxurious.

I belong to a Corgi group which has collected shedding hair from our Corgis that someone voluntered to create the spun fiber from. The resulting fiber was then auctioned off with the proceeds going to Corgi rescue. I've wished that we could have gotten pictures of the resulting items that were made. Corgis have a very soft undercoat that lends itself well to becoming fiber.

I've always been intrigued by carding the freshly shorn fibers and whole process of turning it into yarn. I've always wanted to learn to do this and then to create items from it. I should probably put this on my bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment