Monday, August 8, 2011

Zucchini Squash

Today, August 8th, is a very important day in the lives of gardeners! It's National Zucchini Day! Does this important day include the lowly summer squash? I sure hope so!


So, in honor of a such as this, fess up! What do you do with your zucchini besides grow it prolificly? Do you share with anyone who will grudgingly take one, give it to family/friends/neighbors, or manage to sell some? Or, do you manage to use it all and wish you had more?

It seems the last several years I've not had an OVER abundance. I've actually bought some when I didn't have fresh available! I've gotten a few at the grocery store and HATED paying the price for something we think of as a veggie that should be coming out our ears. I've gotten some at the farmer's market or road side stands too. But, as we all know, fresh is best right from our own garden.

I grate and cube some for the freezer for baked goods and soup. I use it in all types of dishes. I fry it a bit but prefer it roasted along with some carrots and onions. There's a wealth of ways to use it! I've also canned some for pickles. I've dehydrated it too.
I do like zucchini. In fact, I've even started a folder on my computer for zucchini recipes. I guess I'm lucky I like it enough to do that being it usually grows well. I'm hoping my newer plants do better than the first I planted this year. Those didn't make it after the heavy rains and then turned drought and exceptionally hot. I guess it shows one can kill it, but we just need nature to take part!

We have lucked out with a cooler day so I'm going to "splurge" and use the oven. I'm going to roast some zucchini and also oven fry some. I have a new recipe I want to try this is also an oven fried zucchini that has a coating and cheese on it. What perfect timing!

So, are you celebrating the day with zucchini? If so, what are you making?

No comments:

Post a Comment