Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Alarm Was Sounded

And fear struck the hearts of the younger, smaller chickens in the barn! The guinea hen was caroling her DANGER DANGER alarm. The 3 turkeys were on high alert and having a hot discussion while a few of the chickens were a cackling along with the ruckus. The goats were on high alert and not sure what the heck was going on, but something wasn't right!

And then, SWOOP, up in the top of the barn was a HAWK! He wasn't very big and I only hope now that he knows of the chickens in there, that he is small enough to leave them be and just be after the sparrows. Of course there wasn't a sparrow to be seen at the moment!

I did a whole lot of banging around to try to make the hawk know that he didn't REALLY want to be there. I got my camera and yippeeee! The flash had him in a panic and he wanted to escape! So I proceeded to run the batteries down flashing him in the face as fast as the camera could reset it's self for the next pic. Too bad I couldn't get a good pic and try as I did, I couldn't get a pic of him flying from end to end trying to find a way out.


This is the best I could do, unfortunately. It was actually quite a bit darker up there as it was nearing dark.
He looks bigger here than he actually seemed in person.
I hope he's decided to hunt sparrows outside my barn or somewhere else! I'm sure glad I have chicken wire over the outdoor pen now!
I also hope that the goats being in with chickens really does help keep the chickens safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment